Authorities say Stewart Trail Fire near Two Harbors is now fully contained



Fire damage to properties on Highway 61

Authorities say the destructive Stewart Trail wildfire northeast of Two Harbors is now fully contained.

That’s as of an update from the Minnesota Interagency Fire Center late Monday. Wildland firefighting crews on the North Shore — and also battling the large Flanders Fire in Crow Wing County — have been aided by cooler, more humid weather and light rain.

The Stewart Trail Fire was sparked by a downed power line amid windy, dry conditions on Friday — and quickly spread across more than 350 acres. It burned more than 30 buildings, including eight homes or cabins.

While the fire is now reported as 100 percent contained — meaning that crews have created lines around the entire perimeter, that they believe will keep the flames from spreading — Highway 61 remains closed to thru-traffic between Two Harbors and Silver Bay.

Gov. Walz speaks in a fire department garage
Gov. Tim Walz speaks with officials following a briefing with state, county and local officials at the incident command center at the Two Harbors Fire Department on Monday.
Ben Hovland | MPR News

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz traveled to Two Harbors on Monday and thanked firefighters, first responders and local officials for their work combating the Stewart Trail fire and safely evacuating residents.

“These are days we don’t ever want to happen, but when they do, the response we’ve seen so far up here is one that we should all be very proud of,” Walz said at the incident command center at the Two Harbors fire station, where he made remarks and held a briefing with local, county and state officials and fire officials.

State incident commander Mike Hill said Monday that he anticipated turning the fire’s management over to local officials “sometime midweek.”

“There’s not much smoke left in the air, but the next phase is lifting evacuations, opening the highway, and trying to get people back to normal to the degree that we can,” said Hill. “That’s our primary focus right now.”

County officials have reduced the size of the evacuation zone, and were escorting residents to their properties within the burn area Monday afternoon.

Fire damage to properties on Highway 61
Trees damaged by the Stewart Trail Fire are seen from Highway 61 northeast of Two Harbors on Monday, May 18, 2026.
Ben Hovland | MPR News

While the fire destroyed many structures, fire crews from Two Harbors and other neighboring departments saved countless other structures from being destroyed in the fire, said Two Harbors Fire Chief Mark Schlangen. He said it was “pretty personal” work for crews trying to keep the flames away from homes in their own community.

“You could see siding that was burning that was extinguished, could see eaves that were started that were extinguished,” Schlangen said. While the homes lost are a tragedy, he said, “I want all the crews to know that their efforts really mattered.”

Lake County Sheriff Nathan Stadler also thanked neighboring law enforcement agencies for their help in the stressful first hours after the fire ignited.

“A lot of people ask how many houses were evacuated,” Stadler said. “We did it so quickly, we have no idea. We weren't able to take numbers, we just wanted to get people out safely.”

Walz thanked Stadler and other officials for their work. “No one died, no one’s injured at this point, and that is the ultimate responsibility,” he said.

“Evacuation is a tough thing,” Walz added. It “comes fast, can cause a lot of confusion, but by all of the reports coming in, (was) just done incredibly professionally.”

Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Commissioner Sarah Strommen said more than 500 wildfires have ignited across the state so far this year, many of them in recent days. But the public doesn’t hear about most of them, because most are extinguished quickly.

“It starts with the training, it starts with fire prevention outreach and education,” said Strommen. “This is an ongoing year-round effort that folks at the local level, state levels, and federal levels are engaged in.”

In Two Harbors, Walz highlighted the role that first responders in a small, rural community played in keeping people safe.

“I appreciate listening to the stories and understanding what it takes for volunteer firefighters and a small sheriff's department to evacuate people in a very dangerous situation, and to do so with no injuries, no death. That’s an amazing story,” Walz said.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Get our latest articles delivered straight to your inbox. No spam, we promise.

Recent Reviews


Apple has secured a major victory for its redesigned smartwatches as per the latest decision from the US International Trade Commission. The federal agency ruled against reinstating an import ban on Apple Watches, allowing the tech giant to continue selling its devices with a reworked blood-oxygen monitoring technology.

The ITC decided to terminate the case and refer to a preliminary ruling from one of its judges in March that claimed that Apple’s redesigned smartwatches don’t infringe on patents held by Masimo, the medical tech company that has long been embroiled in lawsuits surrounding the Apple Watch. Apple thanked the ITC in a statement, adding that “Masimo has waged a relentless legal campaign against Apple and nearly all of its claims have been rejected.” We reached out to Masimo for comment and will update the story when we hear back.

The latest decision could offer some closure to the longstanding legal feud between Masimo and Apple. The patent battle dates back to 2021 with Masimo’s first filing against Apple that requested an import ban on Apple Watches. The ITC ended up ruling that Apple violated Masimo’s patents, resulting in the previous import ban and the Apple Watch maker redesigning the blood-oxygen reading feature in certain models. However, Masimo wasn’t satisfied with this conclusion and sought another import ban on the updated Apple Watch models. Now that the ITC has ruled against that, Masimo is left with the option to appeal the decision with the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.

While Masimo may currently be on the losing side of this legal battle, it’s confronting Apple on multiple fronts. In November, a federal jury sided with Masimo and ruled that Apple has to pay $634 million in a separate patent infringement case.



Source link